1. Booksource ~ this is the best option ~ just enter title in. To get titles at specific levels by genres and subjects try Scholastic Book Wizard. Be sure to go by “Guided Reading Level” under the “LEVEL” tab. Book Finder can also suggest the right leveled books. Accelerated Book Finder ~ simply enter title in to get the grade level. Leveled Book Database can help you, as well. Enter the guided reading level that you want, and a list of books will come up.
2. If the book isn’t there, enter a 100 word sample into this site. Your best bet is to go by the Flesch-Kincaid grade level.
3. If you are trying to get the readability of a website, entire the url here.
4. Old Fashioned Fry Graph ~ If you are having trouble finding even an approximate grade level, try this old fashioned method.
5. Use this Lexile.com site to get lexile levels. Simply enter the name of the text in the Quick Book Search in the top left corner. Vocabulary words to teach are provided in many cases. Read What Lexile Measures Mean. The following chart came from the Lexile.com website:
Typical Reader Measures, by Grade
|Grade||Reader Measures, Mid-Year
25th percentile to 75th percentile (IQR)
|1||Up to 280L|
|2||230L to 580L|
|3||360L to 720L|
|4||480L to 830L|
|5||620L to 950L|
|6||690L to 1020L|
|7||780L to 1090L|
|8||820L to 1140L|
|9||880L to 1170L|
|10||920L to 1200L|
|11||940L to 1210L|
|12||950L to 1220L|
Teachers should be sure to teach using complex texts. Texts are complex based on quantitative measures (lexile level), qualitative measures:
- MEANING ~ layers of meaning, theme, purpose
- STRUCTURE ~ text features, genre organization
- LANGUAGE ~ vocabulary, sentence length and style, figurative language, dialects
- KNOWLEDGE ~ content and disciplinary knowledge, prior knowledge
and reader and task ~ what does the teacher need to do to help students to access it?
Free Lessons Aligned to the CCSS ~ You need to become a member ~ it’s GREAT and it’s FREE!
Look for online videos about grappling with complex texts!
COPYRIGHT 01/30/2016. PLEASE CITE AS FOLLOWS:
Araujo, Judith E., M. Ed., CAGS. “What Reading Level Is This? / Complex Texts.” Mrs. Judy Araujo, Reading Specialist. N.p., 30 Jan. 2016. Web. <http://www.mrsjudyaraujo.com/what-reading-level-is-this/>.
I am happy to share my pages, but please cite me as you would expect your students to cite their sources. Copyscape alerts me to duplicate content. Please respect my work.