How to Teach Writing ~ Visit this page for research based writing instruction!
Click on the above link for a pdf file adapted from Consult An Expert ~ titles compiled by Shirl Hawes and Debbie Rickards, 2001, of mentor texts for writing.
Find mentor texts for:
- topic selection
- leads, using questions
- endings, general
- endings, surprise
- endings, circular
- endings, poignant
- strong characters
- using voice
- vivid word choice/descriptive language
- strong verbs
- poetry and unforgettable language
- story structure, cumulative
- story structure, chain
- story structure, circular
- story structure, chronological life events
- story structure, home-journey-home
- story structure, parallel plots
- time (non-linear way)
- point of view
- narrowing a topic
- combing fiction with nonfiction
- cause and effect
- adaptations of familiar tales
- word play
Here are other great Mentor Texts for Writing websites:
I am happy to share my pages, but please cite me as you would expect your students to cite their sources. Copyscape alerts me to duplicate content. Please respect my work.
IF MY WEBSITE HAS HELPED YOU, PLEASE HELP ME SUPPORT THIS FAMILY! ALL DONORS WILL BE MENTIONED ON MY HOME PAGE! REMEMBER, DO GOOD AND GOOD WILL COME BACK TO YOU. THANK YOU!